facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


Locata provide a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 135 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




Baby Costs

For advice and information on all the financial aspects of having a baby, including benefits and family budgeting, follow this link.

An action plan to prepare for the cost of having a baby can be found at The MoneyAdvice Service.

A "Baby Cost Calculator" ia also available at The MoneyAdvice Service.  

Pregnancy and Birth

Detailed help and advice on getting pregnant, being pregnant and caring for your new baby is available at the following links:

Registering the Birth

 Births must usually be registered within 42 days. Stillbirths should also normally be registered within 42 days and no later than twelve months after the birth. For details of how and where to register a birth go to GOV.UK.

Parental Rights and Responsibilities

As a parent you have legal rights and responsibilities to your child. Full details of these rights and responsibilities are available at the GOV.UK website.

Guides for parents to assist their children to achieve their full academic potential are available at the following links:

A guide, "Parental Responsibility & Child Custody Rights" is available from MyLegalAdviser.

Parental Support and Advice

The National Chilbirth Trust (NCT) supports parents by providing accurate, impartial information so that they can decide what’s best for their family, and introduce parents to a network of local parents to gain practical and emotional support.

Family Lives works around the clock transforming the lives of families, supporting parents and making happier relationships, happier families and a stronger society. Their experience enables them to help families with any problem or challenge that they face and their trained family support workers, both paid and volunteer, offer all family members immediate and on-going help on the phone, online or in local communities

parentzone provide support and information to parents, children and schools, working globally to help families to navigate the internet safely and confidently

Further guidance can be found at the following links:

Keeping Your Child Safe on the Internet 

Compehensive information and guides can be found at MAG - KEEPING YOUR CHILD SAFE ONLINE.

Child Maintenance

Child maintenance is financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs when the parents have separated.

It’s for children who are either:

  • under 16
  • under 20 and in full-time education (but not higher than A-Level or equivalent)

The parent who doesn’t have day-to-day care of the child (the ‘paying parent’) pays child maintenance to the parent or person who does (the ‘receiving parent’). The ‘receiving parent’ could be a grandparent or guardian as well as a parent.

Detailed information and advice on Child Maintenance, is available at this 
MyAdviceGateway page.

Parent's guide to money

Useful resources, leaflets and calculators to help you plan, budget, save, borrow and claim benefits and tax credits, are available from TheMoneyAdviceService.

Use this tool to check how much a baby could cost you in their first year, Baby Costs Calculator.

Financial Help for Single Parents

If you're a struggling single parent there's help available to you. Comprehensive advice for financial assistance for single parents is available at the following links:

Financial Help During the School Holidays

Almost 6 months of the year are non-school days and during this time parents have to find the money for extra food, childcare and activities.

There are a number of schemes available that may be able to help with these added costs. Details are available at this link.

State Benefits for Family & Children

For information on the benefits that may be available to you got to the MyAdvice Gateway page, Benefits Family & Children.

NSPCC Leaflets for Parents and Carers

The NSPCC provide a range of downloadable leaflets for parents and carers available at this link.

Grandparents – advice and support

Grandparents Plus is the only national charity (England and Wales) dedicated to supporting kinship carers - grandparents and other relatives raising children who aren't able to live with their parents. providing advice, information and support for grandparents.

They especially work with grandparents who:

  • have lost or are losing contact with their grandchildren because of divorce, family arguments or other problems
  • care for their grandchildren on a full time basis
  • have childcare responsibilities for their grandchildren
  • are interested in the educational and welfare needs of their grandchildren

They offer a range of services including a general helpline, welfare benefits advice, support groups and factsheets, including on issues like contact, and residence orders.

To  contact the Grandparents Plus:

Advice line: 0300 123 7015
Email:         advice@grandparentsplus.org.uk

Other organisations that offer advice and support to grandparents are listed below:

Child Abuse

Child abuse is when someone is ill-treating a child, causing damage to the child's health or personal development. For more information on go to the MyAdviceGateway page, Child Abuse.