facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


Locata provide a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 135 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com





Universal Credit (UC) was introduced in 2013 to simplify the welfare system by 'rolling' six means-tested benefits and tax credits into a single monthly payment that will be paid to you if your income falls below a certain level.

It is available to people who are looking for work or on a low income. UC is means tested, so payment will depend on other money your household has coming in. The higher your income is, the less UC you'll receive.

UC payments will be subject to the Benefit Cap.

The roll-out of UC started in April 2013 with the launch of the Universal Credit pathfinder and will not be completed until March 2023.

UC has replaced the following individual benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income related Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Income Based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Some benefits will disappear completely. Other benefits will stay but the rules about who can get them will change. A few benefits will continue to exist as they are now. See the individual sections at MAG - Benefits.

If you currently do not receive any benefits you can check whether you are entitled to receive UC at MAG - Benefit Calculator.

However whether you can claim it and the way you manage your claim depends on whether you live in a Full Service area or a Live Service area.

Full Service

Universal Credit Full Online Service is being rolled out by post code.

Since 1 January 2018 you can only make a new claim for UC in a Full Service area.

To see whether you can make a new claim for UC you need to find out whether it is available to your post code area by checking at this link.

Eventually all Universal Credit claims will be on the Full Service and all claimants will have a UC online account

Live Service

If you live in a Live Service area your claim will be for tax credits and other legacy benefits.

If you are already receiving UC and you live in a Live Service area you will manage your UC claim by phone.

All Live Service claims will eventually move to the Full Service and you will be notified when this will happen and what you need to do at that time

If you are already claiming any benefits you do not need to do anything - you will be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

Guides to Universal Credit

A complete overview of UC including eligibility, how to claim, how you will be paid and how to appeal, can be found at the GOV.UK website.

Alternatively, more information about UC is available from the following sites:

A series of comprehensive guides to UC can be found at the GOV.UK website.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit and Housing Benefit will remain for those over the qualifying age.

After UC has been introduced, if one member of a couple is over and one under the qualifying age for pension credit then the couple will be treated as working age. This means they would be expected to claim UC. Those already claiming pension credit will be protected.

UC for Couples

If you are part of a couple you and your partner will need to make a joint claim for UC. Only one member of the couple will complete the claim form, but that person will need to enter details for both of you.

Further information is available at the following links:

UC for the Self Employed

If you are self-employed Universal Credit will provide support to help you grow your business.

To must be able to show that the self-employed the work you do is:

  • regular
  • organised
  • developed

You must expect to make a profit and it should be your main job.

Full details of UC for the Self employed is available from GOV.UK.

Alternatively more information is available at the following links:

Further Information

Detailed information on specific aspects of UC can be found in the following MAG Sections: