facebook twitter
My Advice Gateway

My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.

There is so much information available on the internet that it can often be a tedious and time consuming activity to search through the mass of advice that is available in order to find the information you need. Even government websites that have been set up to provide help can be difficult to find your way around.

My Advice Gateway has been built to help you find the information you need quickly and effectively. Links will take you to authoritative advice or the precise application form you need.

We hope you will find My Advice Gateway useful. If you do, why not tell your friends. . .


LHS provides a complete range of web-based housing option services to more than 60 local authorities and hundreds of housing associations across the UK.


My Advice Gateway constantly checks its links to other information sources to ensure they work properly.

However, if you do find a link that does not connect, please let us know so that we can fix it quickly.

Simply drop us an e-mail and tell us which link did not work. We will check it out and put it right.

E-mail: info@myadvicegateway.com




Tax credits are payments from the government straight into your bank account.

There are two types – Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. 

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is a payment for people who are working but are on a low income.

For an overview of Working Tax Credit, details of eligibility, what you might receive and how to claim go to GOV.UK.

Alternatively guides to Working Tax Credit are available from citizensadvice and Money Advice Service.

The amount you receive depends on your annual income and a number of other elements – such as whether you are disabled or if you are paying for childcare.

Apply for Child Tax Benefits

To apply for Working Tax Credits you must fill in “Form TC600”. This is the same form you use for applying for Child Tax Credits, so your eligibility for both benefits will be calculated from the information you give on this form.

You cannot download Form TC600 or order it online. In order to get Form TC600 sent to you, telephone the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900 (or textphone 0345 300 3909).

Have your National Insurance number on you when you call – it will save a lot of time.

There is a file you can download that will help explain how to fill in Form TC600.

Use the on-line calculator to get an estimate of how much you might be paid, available at GOV.UK

Renewing Your Tax Credits

If you’re claiming tax credits, you’ll be sent a renewal pack. It will tell you how to renew your tax credits.

Payments may stop if you don't renew your tax credits by the end of July every year.

More information is available at the following links:

Universal Credit

UC is currently being rolled out to certain areas across the UK.

Depending where you live and what your personal circumstances are, you might be able to claim UC instead of Working Tax Credit.

For a full explanation of Universal Credit follow this link.